The core constructs of the A.L.E.R.T.U.S. Shield program are:
- To promote public service training that is accurate and free from religious bias.
- To avert hate crimes and attacks on faith communities and their houses of worship.
- To promote environments in faith communities that are inhospitable to radicalization and violence.
- To educate faith communities on the recognition of the signs of incipient harm, as well as the stages of a hostile attack.
- To engage faith communities in the reporting of violent threats and assist in the development of streamlined reporting mechanisms.
- To foster positive working relationships between local faith communities and law enforcement.
- To promote an accurate image of law enforcement within faith communities and of faith communities within law enforcement.
- To promote patriotism, pluralism, and the participation of all faith communities within law enforcement and public service.